Delicious bar food staple that you can make right at home. Be sure to use panko breadcrumbs and double dip to make a nice, crispy crust. Make sure to shake off excess flour otherwise the egg and breadcrumb mixture won't stick properly. You can use a toothpick to dredge the cheese and roll in the crumbs so your hands don't get sticky and remove the breading.
- Mix Italian seasoning, salt, and breadcrumbs in a small bag until well combined. Beat eggs in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Evenly spread the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates.
- Place one piece of cheese in the flour and coat. Shake off excess flour and dip in the eggs. Roll cheese in the breadcrumbs. Dip cheese in eggs once more and then in breadcrumbs again.
- Place on a dry plate and repeat the previous step with remaining cheese stick halves.
- Once all pieces of cheese are coated, place in the freezer for about two hours. This helps the breadcrumbs to solidify and seal in the cheese so no leaks happen when frying.
- Pour enough oil into a saucepan to come to a depth of about 2 inches. Heat the oil on a moderately high heat.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks in batches for about 3-5 minutes, or until the outside is crispy and brown. Drain cheese sticks on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Add oil to the saucepan to return to original level and allow it to heat again. Repeat previous step with remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Keep the others warm by placing them in the oven at 200°F. Serve immediately with sauces like marinara, garlic aioli, or honey-garlic mustard.